Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Top 5 Giggles

As I prepare for my ninth year of teaching, I thought I'd share with you my top five funniest moments I've had in the classroom.

5.  I've had class clowns, girly girls, young jocks, divas, and quite a few fashionistas over the years.  Two years ago, I had one student in particular who was especially interested in my fashion, but let's just say she hadn't yet mastered tact when a particular outfit didn't fit her style.  One fall day my student teacher, Miss K. had on a cute dress with a white shirt.  She looked darling!   Unfortunately for her, my student didn't think so.  The student walked up to Miss K., one hand on her hip, the other finger pointing at Miss K's outfit and said in a sassy voice, "You look like a pilgrim today!"

4.   I normally leave my cell phone near the front of the class because I use it as my I-pod as well, and I've never had any problems with students playing with it.  You will imagine my surprise when one of my students came up to me as I was supervising recess from the door to tell me that, "[your] husband is going to his parent's house to visit before going home from the airport."  I stood in complete and utter confusion, looking at his innocent face, trying to figure out what was going on. Why is he telling my about J, and how does he know?  It then dawns on me that J changed his name in my phone to "hot husband" and my student must have read my text message.  The way he non-chalantly informed me of J's plans, surely caused a lot of giggles.  Needless to say, my phone now has a password!

3.  One day in Subway, I recognized two boys who were my previous students from the year I got engaged to J.  After chatting and catching up with the now 7th graders, I was caught off guard when they asked, "So...are you still married to J?"  What 13 year old boy remembers the name of his second grade teacher's husband?!?  Hmmm...

9.   I once had a student that liked to put his coat on the back of his chair.  One morning, while sitting in his chair with his coat behind him, he decided to tie the arms of his jacket around his waist.  All was fine and dandy until we rose to say the Pledge of Allegiance...unfortunately for this poor kiddo, his chair came with him.  I watched in shock and confusion as he stood in a half squat with his chair attached to him.

 6.   There are many things a teacher comes to expect from her darling students: chocolate, hugs, apples, some pretty pictures, and even a few crushes from the boys.  What I discovered in a student's desk after school one day left me speechless, stunned, and THEN laughing.  When going through student notebooks after school one day, I found a story about a boy who was creating a beautiful statue. Harmless so far, right?   I continued...the statue was named Ms. Gray.  "Oh cute!" I thought, "he's writing about me!"  My eyes went back to the page... Ms. Gray, the statue, was wearing a bikini and high heels.  What in the world!!!  Do I dare continue...I have to see how it ends.  I wearily continued...the main character was buying a belly button ring to put in the statue!  At this point I put the notebook down and tried to figure out what to do.  After sitting there pondering, laughing, and realizing that there were many things I was not prepared for when I finished my education classes in college, I called his mom to have, let's just say, a very awkward conference.  Oh the lessons you learn the first year of teaching.


What are your favorite stories of teaching?

Have a great first day, and here's to the hope of adding many more giggles to your memories this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment